Microsoft has today announced that Microsoft Teams a service in use by over 40 million people for work, will soon be getting new consumer-focused features designed for keeping families and friends connected. These new features will be coming to the existing Microsoft Teams client, and will show up in preview first on iOS and Android in the coming months.
Microsoft is positioning Microsoft Teams as the ultimate tool for work and home life. No longer is Microsoft Teams aimed primarily at remote working; it’s now also about organizing your personal life and staying connected with your loved ones. Using the same productivity focused client that Teams already has, but with new consumer-facing features.
The new Microsoft Teams features will be launching later this year, so Microsoft recommends customers use Skype to stay in contact with friends and family in the meantime. Skype recently saw usage increase by 52 percent in the recent weeks, as more and more people are working from home.
The new features will let users stay connected in their personal life with an overview of events, locations, and files shared by members of your family or friend group in the form of a dashboard. There’s also a central group chat, which will let you send texts or make video calls with the whole family, as well as share photos and videos.
- Teams is your mobile messaging hub. Start a video chat, assign tasks to people, edit calendars, send a GIF, and access cloud storage, right from your group chats.
- Access multiple calendars, activities, and shared tasks all in one place with Teams. With this centralized view, events, photos, and videos are always available within your group chat, so everyone stays in sync.
- Share documents, tackle projects together, build a family budget, or help with homework using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Everything saves securely in the cloud and is available on any device.
- Help your family rest easy when you’re running late with location sharing. Plus, with Teams you can confidently store and share information like passwords, rewards numbers, or login information.
Teams consumer edition will be available later this year. You can sign-up for Teams for Life preview here.
- OnePlus CEO may have confirmed the existence of OnePlus Z
- iPhone 11 now ‘the world’s most popular smartphone’ as it surpasses iPhone XR
- Build-to-order Macs finally available in India ahead of Apple Store launches
- OnePlus 8 Pro prices skyrocket from secondhand sellers as stock issues continue
- Meet Samsung Money by SoFi, a MasterCard debit card and mobile money management experience